Monday, July 21, 2014

Loss of Sight? Loss of Hearing?

To an artist, the eyes are EVERYTHING. I suppose a musician would say the same about their hearing. I had to think about that this week.  I woke up and at around 10 o'clock I started seeing a huge floater in my right eye. What is a floater? It is a break up of the clear gel that fills the space between the lens and the retina of the eyeball. It moves around in your sight and you have no control. I have had this before, small ones, and the ophthalmologist said that if it happened again to go in right away.

Being a weekend, I had to go to the emergency room of the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute here in Miami and known as the best in the country. After four hours there and looking around, I could only imagine what these patients were experiencing and how it could affect their lives. The retina exam was extremely painful, but I left knowing that the retina was intact. I also left knowing something I already knew when I walked in. I am old and this is a result of that. A follow up with my doctor in a week should end this experience........getting older not ending any time soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment