Monday, December 6, 2010

Out of the Box




I am convinced that I am a landscape/seascape artist. I say this because I can get lost in painting the many shapes of clouds and the beautiful colors of the sky at different times of the day, add the sea and I am happy. However, it is also fun to play with shapes and colors just because one can. A photographer friend, Brian Trainor, has been encouraging me lately to "get out of the box". It isn't just Brian. I personally want to bring excitement to my work and leave the realism to the imagination. In my exposure to watercolor, I have found that I enjoy that medium most when using a different type of paper than just your average watercolor paper. The rice paper I use for the watercolor batiks adds lots of texture and interest. The yupo (synthetic) paper allows for real play with colors because it does not absorb the paint. The paint stays on the surface with lots of time for movement and placement before drying. The paintings above are some samples of what can be done with this type of paper. It's like finger painting for grown ups. Let me know what you think of these.

www. artistamundo.com/rosiesart
http://www.redbubble.com/people/rosiebrown

No comments:

Post a Comment