Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Art of Crochet

I am a knitter and a very basic crocheter. My Mom, on the other hand, was the other way around. She had been crocheting her whole life. She stopped for a few years when we arrived in the USA and did not start again until my Dad passed away. I can understand why. Crocheting, as knitting, is relaxing and therapeutic; something she probably needed after my Dad died. She joined a group at her church and created many beautiful pieces. The creations below were made by her. 

These patterns were intricate and beautiful. She did them without even thinking. The sad part is that as dementia robbed her of her memory, she was no longer able to make these. I tried many times to get her to do them, since she could not walk, and it would be a great past time. She made excuses that her glasses were not good, that her vision was not what it used to be, but I knew she just could not remember. I am keeping my dresses, framed a couple of the doilies and shared the rest with my sisters and niece. I find them to be works of art to be treasured and enjoyed.







No comments:

Post a Comment