Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Plein Air in the Mountains

Even if you are not an artist, you may have heard the term "plein air". It is a French expression which means "in the open air" and is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors.

On my recent trip to Dahlonega, Georgia, we went to find Loganberry Heritage Farms. As we drove up,  we saw that the fence was closed, but we could see some people from afar. I was able to walk in on the side and decided to find out if there was another entrance to this farm.  As I got closer, I was able to see that these people were artists, with their easels set up and painting outdoors. Needless to say, my family waited outside the gate while I started talking to these artists and snapping photos; forgetting their wait. To my surprise, Anita Elder, a local artist I had met on a previous visit,  was part of the group. I learned that had I known, I could have signed up for this 3 day paint out.  I have done "plein air" in the past, but not as often as I would like. This definitely inspired me to go out and do it. A goal for the upcoming months!

Please take a look at what I saw and get inspired! (click photo to enlarge)









No comments:

Post a Comment