Saturday, April 4, 2015

Gourds Galore at the MWS Spring 2015 Exhibition

Last Fall I went to Georgia, as I have done for the past few years. The colors were beautiful, but something else caught my eye. This time a box full of colorful gourds also caught my eye. In the past I have brought back gourds, dried, hard and beautifully shaped. I have painted ON these. I thought of actually turning this box of gourds into a painting. I took a photo in preparation.




Once I started, I realized it was not easy to sketch these. I ran into the problem of keeping these colors separate, since one image seemed to be on top of the other. I still kept going because the colors were so brilliant and it looked to me like an abstract from nature.



My husband kept asking how long was I going to continue with this piece. The colors kept me going. Once finished, I debated whether I should submit it to the Miami Watercolor Society Spring 2015 exhibit. After all,  who wants to see fall colors when we are in Spring. I went ahead and submitted it and, to my surprise, it was juried into the show.

Join us on Friday, April 10th, from 6-9 pm for the Opening Reception of this exhibit and to get a close look at this piece.
The Wirtz Gallery.
5750 Sunset Drive, South Miami, Fla. 
Exhibition runs
Wednesday, April 2 through Thursday, April 30, 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment