Friday, March 11, 2011

Rich and Creamy

"Lady In Red"-  Oil - 16 X 20
Rich and creamy. No, I am not describing a dish, but a painting medium. Every medium has a characteristic that attracts different types of artists. The texture, color  and brilliance of oils does that for me. I started painting with oils in 1977. I loved them immediately, but I did not enjoy the clean up with the smelly turpentine. In recent years, I have fallen in love with watercolors and experimented with acrylics. Life has come a full circle and I just started using oils again. I now use Turpenoid and avoid the strong odor. As everything does in life, oils have now evolved and now there are even water-soluble oils. Yes, oil and water!

Above is a recently completed piece in oil. I had to think differently as I worked on this piece. For one, I did not have to worry about protecting my white areas as in watercolor. I also did not have to worry about paint drying up quickly on the palette as I talked on the phone.  Am I leaving other mediums for oils..............absolutely not!  Art is all about exploring, experimenting and enjoying!

www.rosiebrownartorks.com
www.artistamundo.com/rosiesart
http://www.redbubble.com/people/rosiebrown
http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/rosie+brown/all

3 comments:

  1. Stay in the moment and enjoy painting. no talking on the phone while painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie,
    I leave you with the oils! =) You use them very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annamaria, you are so right, I should just get out of my routine stuff while painting.

    Thanks, Angeline! I started with oils in 1977 so it's just like coming home for me.

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete