Friday, August 21, 2009

Yippeee for Yupo

I belong to the Miami Watercolor Society and it was during one of their monthly demonstrations that I was introduced to Yupo. You may be wondering. "What is Yupo?" Same thing I said that day so I will tell you. Yupo paper is actually not paper, but plastic. Don't get all excited, yupo is a "green" product. It does not take cutting down trees to create it and it is 100% recycable. Feel better now? I know I did when I got the facts. The beauty of this paper is that the paint is not absorbed. The watercolors move and allow the artist to manipulate them for a longer period of time. The result is spectacular. I love using this paper for colorful abstracts and for wonderful water and underwater scenes. The durability is a plus too because it does not tear like watercolor paper can. The best part is that if you start out creating a masterpiece and the end result looks like something your grandchild created, you can run it under the faucet and watch the masterpiece go down the drain. It allows you a second chance on the same piece of paper which is very appreciated by "starving artists". How can something that is washable be permanent? Permanency is achieved once you are happy with the result by spraying it with a fixative. It is then matted and framed just as you would a typical watercolor. Yupo takes away the fear and allows your creative juices to flow just like the watercolors on the paper. If you have any questions or want to share your experiences, I welcome your comments.

1 comment:

  1. That paper sounds really unique..and what you show in the pic I'm glad u didn't wash down the drain.

    ReplyDelete