Sunday, October 27, 2019

Understanding Diago

This week I went to an opening reception of two Cuban artists at the Lowe Art Museum. I must say that I went home that night having enjoyed one of the best openings I have attended, but not too thrilled about one of the artists, Juan Robert Diago's work. The following day there was a gallery talk with the artist and the curator of the show, Dr. Alejandro de la Fuente. I went because this artist is not only Cuban, but still lives in Habana. Also, he is black and his works reflect the racism existing in Cuba. I had pre-conceived ideas about him. First, he must be communist and secondly, what racism? I wanted to hear what he had to say. Assuming I was going to come back disappointed in his message.

This experience was not only informative, but a life lesson for me; the fact that you don't understand what you don't know. This young man was soft-spoken, but as he explained his life, his career and his pieces, it was as if he was screaming his message. I understood his struggle and perseverance to create, although lacking materials. I related to his fight against racism through his art and his desire to make it better for the next generation of black Cubans. 

I came to the USA, as a child, and was not aware of racism, since I went to school with blacks and even had them as neighbors. His explanation of how racism happens in a communist country that has preached equality since 1959 was incredible. He is an artist with a purpose, hoping to help the next generation and very decisive about not selling his soul as he sells his art. Thank you, Diago!






No comments:

Post a Comment