Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Northeast Georgia Arts Tour 2011

Last week we went to Georgia. The trip had been planned in advance, but I was disappointed that I would not be able to attend the Miami Watercolor Society 2011 Fall Exhibition opening reception and receive my award. To my surprise, I was just in time for the Northeast Georgia 2011 Arts Tour.  What a treat! Four counties open their doors and make it possible for you to meet over 100 local artists--painters, potters, jewelry makers, fiber, glass, metal artists and more demonstrating art in the making. Our first stop was above the Dahlonega Welcome Center. As promised, there was not only art, but artists creating. At this location, I ran into Oscar Rayneri  demonstrating watercolors. 

Oscar Rayneri - Watercolor Artist
We left the historic downtown center and traveled a few miles through the beautiful Georgia mountains to our next location, The Funky Chicken. We were greeted there by Christina White. She gave us a tour and demonstrated her wood carving. After some hot cider and homemade cake, we went to our next location, Moonrush Jewels. This working studio houses a husband and wife team, Paul and Florence, creating beautiful jewelry with stones. I had to buy a necklace.

The Funky Chicken - Dahlonega, Georgia
 As if this was not enough, we continued the tour and ended up at The Art Loft. At this location, artist Anita Elder and Dorothy Abercrombie  had an art activity for all visitors. My husband and I were given a piece of a large photograph, canvas and paint. We painted and all visitor's art will be compiled to create the entire painting. All participants will be emailed a photo of the finished piece.

Anita Elder & Dorothy Abercrombie - The Art Loft 

Anita putting out the paint for me.

I met so many talented artists in Dahlonega and my 84 year old mother enjoyed picking up my award in Miami. It was a week full of color from the trees and the local artists.

Chestatee Artists - http://www.chestateeartists.com/artist-index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment